A project is a set of coordinated and controlled activities with start and end dates, carried out in order to achieve an objective according to specific requirements. How to do project management that helps you precisely coordinate them?
Project management is a variant of business management by projects and contributes to the improvement of the company’s organization.
Correct management will make teams more efficient by facilitating communication, the execution of different tasks, the management of the work to be done and monitoring.
Let’s learn more about what it is and the advantages of implementing it in your organization.
What is project management?
Project management is the practice of applying knowledge, skills, tools and techniques to complete a project according to specific requirements. It’s about identifying the problem, creating a plan to fix it, and then executing that plan until the problem is resolved. This may seem simple, but there is a lot to do at each stage of the process.
The ability to deliver projects on time, on budget and in line with business objectives is essential to excel in today’s highly competitive business environment. This is where the project manager comes into play. This is an incredibly complex job, combining the organizational skills, analytical thinking and interpersonal skills of experts.
What are the stages of project management?
There are various stages for project management, among which stand out:
- Start-up : the objective of this phase is to define the project.
- Project Planning – This phase includes developing a roadmap for everyone to follow.
- Execution and monitoring : During this phase the project team is formed and the results are created. The project manager monitors and evaluates the performance of the project to ensure that it stays on track.
- Closing – The project is completed, an analysis is performed, and it is transferred to another team for maintenance.
Importance of project management
Correct project management is important for the following reasons:
- Helps you have a more predictable project planning and execution process
- Project management makes it easy for you to define budgets, schedules, and project scope guidelines.
- You will be able to resolve problems and escalate issues more quickly and easily
- Identify and terminate projects that have no relevant business value
- Managing projects helps you be more efficient
- To improve collaboration between and within teams
- Identify and prepare for risks
Use a dashboard for project management
Project management encompasses all the tools, techniques and methods that allow the project manager and the team, which may be large or small, directly associated with him, to manage, coordinate and harmonize the different tasks carried out within the framework of the project, to that it responds to the explicit and implicit needs for which it has been undertaken.
There are different tools and methods for project management, you can use, for example, project management dashboards that allow you to have performance metrics, as well as measure general progress and detect particular problems that require greater attention.